Thursday, September 10, 2009

Review: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell


I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell follows the dubious sexual adventures of a trio of college buddies. The events of the movie are based upon some of the real-life experiences published in Tucker Max’s memoir of the same name. The situations that unfold during IHTSBIH’s 99 minutes are exploitive, offensive, and often cringe-worthy. Still game? See it; you’ll enjoy one of the most uproarious, pee-your-pants funny films you will ever see.

The movie’s plot surrounds a scheme by Tucker (Matt Czuchry) to engineer a strip club road trip before his friend’s wedding. Dan (Geoff Stults), the groom, and Drew (Jesse Bradford), the recently dumped misogynist, are reluctant, but eventually fall in with Tucker’s plans. Predictably, their odyssey descends into the type of reckless frat-boy hijinx which only make for hilarious stories if everyone survives.

Tucker is played winningly by Czuchry, who injects an infectious charm into what should be a thoroughly unlikeable character. Stellar support is lent by Stults, Keri Lynn Pratt (as Dan’s put-upon fiancĂ©e, Kristy), and especially Bradford. His portrayal of the scathingly belligerent Drew is unforgettable.

This film will likely draw comparisons to the recent hit The Hangover. While IHTSBIH will no doubt appeal to aficionados of The Hangover, the situations in that movie, while funny, seem contrived. Under the able direction of Bob Gosse, the well-paced screenplay by Max and Nils Parker provides a genuine feel to IHTSBIH that adds believeability to the humor. Laugh-for-laugh, this film can take its rightful place alongside the best buddy comedies in memory.

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is currently holding premieres across the country. It opens nationwide on September 25th. If you’re shelling out ten bucks for a movie anyway, why not see an instant classic?

7 comments:

  1. I like this blog, it's sexy! Consider yourself followed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Crunk, you made me blush. And that is *not* easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much so -- exactly like the film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Tucker's stories? I feel like I should be offended, but I loooove them! They crack me up to the point of tears! I can't wait to see this movie. With a bunch of guy friends, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I have read some since seeing the movie. I *am* offended, and they *do* crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a Tucker follower for years via his website tuckermax.com. Then last year I bought the book at the SLC airport for the long flight to Baltimore. I read the whole thing and laughed uncontrollably many, many times. People thought I was a crazy person. EASILY the most crass individual I've ever read about and EASILY the funniest stories. I don't know if the film will do it justice, haven't gone to see it yet, but the book is worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete